The Medical Library, which is an affiliate library of the Cambridge University Library, serves
- students and staff of the School of Clinical Medicine
- Part II students
- University of Cambridge postgraduates and staff
- University of Cambridge alumni with a valid reader’s card from the UL (note, it is your responsibility to ensure you have a valid reader’s card, as we will not be able to register you if the card has expired)
- Part I students can join with reference access but are not able to borrow any books
- NHS staff working in the East of England region
- M.R.C. staff working in Cambridge
- others who may be admitted on application to the Librarian. A charge may be made to those wishing to use the library for purposes of commerce or profit.
In order to gain admittance and use library services and resources, new NHS staff must first fill in the online registration form (below), and then email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure you have filled the form in first. University of Cambridge staff/students are likely to already be members, and this membership will be linked to your blue University card, so you do not need to fill in the form. Please do not come to the library to register in person, as library staff are currently working remotely and cannot register you face-to-face.
NHS staff who want to join the library will need to fill in an online form (the form is here if you want to fill it in in advance). The form asks for details such as name, address, email, department and hospital box number. University of Cambridge staff and students do not need to fill in the form, but may need to speak to Medical Library staff to ensure they are registered to use the Medical Library.
How the University Library (and Medical Library) uses your personal information in its management system
We use your personal information to keep membership records to provide you with access to the library and
its services, and to contact you with information about your library use and the services which the library
We use your personal information in order to deliver our contractual obligations to you as a user of our
service. Our standard terms of service are available from the University Library’s website. The University Library and its affiliated libraries use a shared user management system and database, and as a result your personal information is available to all authorised libraries in the University of Cambridge, the Cambridge Theological Federation, and participating College Libraries.
We also use your personal information to create a user account for you. This enables secure access and
provides user functionality through the University Library’s Discovery Service, iDiscover.
Please click here for more information about how the libraries of the University handle your personal information, and your rights under data protection legislation.