Borrowing & Fetching / Renewing loans / Returning books /
Reserving books / Paying fines online / Recommendations for Purchase
If you’re registered as a borrower you can:
– borrow 5 books (and any accompanying CDs) at any one time
– loan periods are in four-week blocks
– renew loans up to a maximum of 112 days (in person, by phone, email or via iDiscover).
At the end of a possible maximum 20-week loan period the books must be returned to the library for 2 working days before they can be borrowed again.
NB – if your books are reserved by another reader, we will not renew your loan.
Remember to bring your Medical Library card with you.
Non-borrowers can use the library for reference purposes only.
Remember that there may be an e-book that would satisfy your needs: check out e-books@cambridge (access to books might require RAVEN).
Renewals of loans up to a maximum of 112 days is possible. You can renew your loans by:
– email: reply to the courtesy email that will be sent to remind you the book is due for return or contact us.
– phone: call 01223 336750
– in person: whenever you are in the library
– online: login to your account in iDiscover to check return dates and renew your loans
If the book you want is on loan to someone else, you can reserve it. We will email you when it is ready to collect.
NB – the books you are borrowing could be reserved by another reader. If they are, you will receive an email notification and have a week to return them, and you will not be able to extend your loan of the reserved items. Note that fines are charged at a higher daily rate on recalled items that are not returned within a week of notification.
We are happy to help, but you can also reserve books online via iDiscover (just click on “My Library account”).
You can return the books to staff at library reception, the self-service machine in the library, or by using the book return box outside the front door of the Clinical School.
If you return your loans late, we charge a fine: 25p per item per day. This is higher if the book has been requested by another user.